Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Photogrammetry of the FIU Bridge Collapse (partial)

This is a partial photogrammetric reconstruction of the FIU bridge collapse.




Photogrammetry is the science of measuring the spatial change between two similar reference photos. In the use for this video, each real frame from the (original?) source was mapped with reference points and then motion was interpolated based on the change in the position of the dots.




Without some extra processing, photogrammetry has it's drawbacks. 

One error you may notice in the video above is several rapid shifts in the motion and possibly an apparent increase in the speed of the motion as well. This is an aberration of the motion switching between the real frames of the original video. If an object is following an arcing path in its motion, drawing two reference dots will only give you the linear path between the two unless corrections in this motion path are made. I've not made these corrections in this because it can be challenging to get a proper motion path in an event that has numerous independent moving objects that each have their own likely non-linear path. I found it best to just iterate linear paths between the frames and your own judgement can fill in the true path of the objects.

Another quite apparent aberration is the movement of objects when they cross the path of another object. The process of photogrammetry only measures the distance between two reference dots to discern motion. If that series of dots intersects another set of dots while transposing their motion, it can create some quite funky image tearing. Again, this is a correctable issue using masking techniques to separate the objects followed by recompositing everything back together. This can become quite time intensive so I have not performed these additional corrections.

 In the set of frames I grabbed from the source I used, I captured 30 frames. The video above only takes you from frame 1 to frame 17. An additional 4 frames are needed for about 98% of the collapse to have taken place. I have not yet mapped these frames and I'm a bit short on time to do this now. If there is enough interest, I'll make the time however.

I do apologize for not attributing the person who originally contributed this video. I am not aware who made it available first. The highest quality source I found on Youtube was from a user going by the name
OfficialJoelF. I don't know if this is the originator for the video or not though. Thank you for whoever was the driver of this truck for providing it to the public. It is such an incredibly lucky video in so many respects and will likely be quite useful in determining the full scope of the issues this bridge experienced in its short time.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for what you have already done!
    I'm going back and forth between this and eng-tips
    https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=436802
    I find it remarkable that you were able to clean up the images as much as you did! Thank You!
    Charlie Smith San Francisco Bay area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you found this helpful.

      Delete
  2. More useful than more frames might be the traffic cam video. This is the best copy I know of: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_XPh5kO2ouwTl0SCWuRVYA?
    Thanks again. What you already have done is remarkable.
    Charlie Smith San Francisco Bay area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into doing this one as well. I may still try it but the framerate is much lower than the dashcam video. I'm a little concerned that enough key parts of the collapse are missing and I'm not sure if there is enough there for the process to interpolate reliably. I'll give this a go at some point.

      Delete
  3. This is a full frame Hi Res version of the dashcam video.
    I don't know if it's any better than what you have. Hope it helps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzbfJF5iVpI&t=2s
    Charlie Smith San Francisco Bay area

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you clarify whether your interpolation was only used to produce your animation of the bridge members, or did you also use it to create interpolated frames of video? Presumably by some sort of morphing technique? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the video source I used, which I linked above, I interpolated the entire frame area. You can see this from the artifacting at the edge of the frame as objects fall off. Originally, the dashcam captured 17 frames of video during this segment of the collapse. The process I used interpolated it out to more than 2000. And yes, the process would be highly similar to morphing images. Around 500 reference points are placed in each frame and from that the motion is interpolated stretching each frame for approximately 2 seconds.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your speedy response. When you say "500 reference points are placed", I take it you mean you placed them manually by eye?
    Also, you may be interested in the discussion at http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=436595, notably in Part V http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=437029 at 28 Mar 18 22:52 and 29 Mar 18 00:45.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these reference points are all manually placed at a high precision with the frames zoomed in typically around 1000%. Sometimes, I will draw referencing vectors similar to those seen in the second video I posted, to ensure accuracy as well. I don't tend to render the footage with these vectors in the frame though.

      I try to follow the discussion on your forum every so often on eng-tips. Always very intriguing. I'm presuming your username to be gwideman on there?

      You are correct to take caution in using interpolated frames as objective evidence. I feel I made that clear above and elsewhere in regards to this. However, I do stand by my careful, albeit subjective, interpretation of the material to be a fairly accurate representation of the transpired event.

      However, as I mention above, there are errors present in the rendering. One consideration you mentioned was the possibility that the motion is being linearly interpolated between the points, as in they move in a straight line from point A to point B. That is absolutely correct in regard to how the motion is interpolated in this. I could correct for a more expected curved motion for the reference points. However, its more challenging to get this correct in the short time I was spending on this.

      You can see I sometimes will do these types of correction in other photogrammetric morphs I have posted. Some of those required a ton more time with more than 3000 reference points and often with just two frames. Unfortunately, it also opens to door to further error and I wanted to be as cautious to this possibility as necessary to give the most accurate representation of the event as possible.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again Zac for your added explanation. Clearly this method takes a great deal of painstaking and conscientious work. Your discussion here helps folks understand this area of visualization. You are correct about username.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham,
      Thanks for your posts here and at eng-tips
      Charlie Smith SFS Bay area

      Delete
  8. Thank you Zac for your replies to Graham and myself.
    I found them useful.
    Charlie Smith SF Bay area

    ReplyDelete
  9. The article was up to the point and described the information very effectively. Thanks to blog author for wonderful and informative post.
    sfs framing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is really interesting reading. I am glad I this got to read it. Great job on this content. I like it.
    sfs framing
    curtain wall insulation
    metsec cladding
    metsec sfs

    ReplyDelete